Pages

August 9, 2010

Birthday week begins!

I love birthdays. Especially when it's my birthday. I love pie and presents and not having to do chores. You can get out of almost anything on your birthday and it's the perfect excuse for a bit of pampering and indulgence.

Birthday week kicked off Friday night with steaks grilled to perfection and a new signature cocktail.  My favorite mixologist gave me a bottle of Hendrick's Gin (it's not for everyone) and Pimm's, together with a splash of lemon and a perfectly ripe cucumber, they make a fabulous and refreshing cocktail so smooth that it's dangerous. I may be turning twenty-nine this week, but the Twenty-One has got my number.

On Saturday, I spent some quality time with my inner Donna Reed and tried my hand a my first peach pie. Cutting and peeling the peaches took more time than I thought and the crust gave me a run for my money, but it was all worth it and, after a couple hours, I pulled a golden brown bubbling sweet peach pie from my oven. It was the ideal pairing for a bottle of chilled white wine shared with girl friends that night.


Sunday afternoon was spent with my mom and sisters doing what we do best - eating ice cream and shopping. My mom still makes me come out of the fitting room so she can pull on my waist line when I'm trying on pants. I bet she'd use spit on a napkin to wipe my face if I'd let her. If you haven't been to The Fountain on Locust yet - go. Go now. Order their Butter Pecan ice cream flown in from a Wisconsin dairy. You won't be sorry. Then, after you fill up on ice cream go try on pretty dresses. It will make you feel like a princess.

Still to come: Dinner at The Royale, cupcakes from The Cupcakery, hitting up the beauty salon and an evening on the town with my man. All of this, of course, to be accompanied by much laughter and great joy. These past twenty-nine years have not all been smooth sailing, but they've gotten me here and I don't want to be anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment