Pages

January 12, 2010

Stop focusing on camels.

Matthew 8:14-15 And when Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his mother-in-law lying sick with a fever. He touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she rose and began to serve him.
I was reading this today, catching up the Engage Scripture reading plan, and this verse struck me in a entirely new way. She served him. He healed her and she served him. So basic, but man it's rocked me all day.

How often do I cry out for God to fix me, heal me, help me? A lot. And most of the time I want him to act for my plans. So I can get up and take care of the stuff that I think needs to be done. I want to be move on with my agenda, but that's not why God saves us. It's not why he heals us. He moves in our lives so that we focus on him.

When Jesus healed Peter's mother-in-law she did get up and get back to her camels or her bread baking or whatever it is that she might have been in the middle of when she got sick. She got up and served him. He was her focus. She was made well so that she could service him. It's the same reason that God heals me, heals my body, and heals my heart: so I can serve him. I need to stop focusing on my camels and start serving Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment