Pages

July 14, 2010

Catching Up

The truth of the matter is that I've fallen behind on my Engage Scripture reading plan. Remember that thing? It was my big goal at the beginning of the year? I'd been doing a decent job at keeping up until springtime hit. Work got busy. A boy stole my attention. My bible got a little dusty. Sad, but true.

What's funny is that part of my job, my actual I-get-paid-for-doing-this job, is to keep the world updated on today's @EngageScripture reading via Twitter. So, everyday, the first thing I do when I sit down at my desk is type out the three chapters for the day. I even send encouraging messages out on days off. "Keep it up!" "It's never to late to catch up!" "Don't give up!" 

I had grand aspirations of catching up when I was on vacation earlier this summer. I pictured myself reading and basking in the beauty of the Grand Canyon. Reality: I ate peanut butter sandwiches and dared my brothers to climb on dangerous rocks. I couldn't seem to make the time. About two weeks ago I was thinking about this time problem and realized that it wasn't so much about time. The truth is that I hate being behind because I don't like that my check boxes on my reading plan aren't up to date. I don't like being late. I don't like my lists out of whack. That's a stupid reason to want to keep reading, right? Yes and no. If it keeps me plugging through it's ok. If it gets me to read my bible everyday it's swell.

If I never get from list-focused-check-box-driven reader to delighter in God's word then it sucks. I'm getting there. Slowly but surely. I'm catching up. And, to help me get to that place where reading God's word becomes my pleasure and the highlight of my day, I've started praying (I know, brilliant) before I read.
Lord, I love you. Holy Spirit, help me to delight in your word as I read it. Help me to see you, know you better and become more like you. I want this to be where I get my strength and my joy. You are my everything. I'm sorry that I forget that. I love you.
Give it a go. Turns out Jesus likes to answer prayers like that I think. And, take it from me - it's not too late to catch up on Engage Scripture or just to pick up that dusty bible and get reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment