Pages

July 26, 2011

Cake in a Jar

What's better than cake in a jar? Whiskey cake in a jar. Yum.



I stumbled upon this recipe on pinterest.com recently and knew it would be a perfect addition to our Scotch & Cigars night for Justin's birthday. It did not disappoint. The birthday man himself consumed at least 2 1/2 jars - a rarity for this non-sweets lover.

Whiskey in a Jar Flourless Chocolate Cake
* I doubled this recipe for the party.
Original Recipe

Cake:
1 stick butter
8oz semi-sweet chocolate pieces I used regular old chocolate chips.
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Tennessee whiskey I totally used Old Grandad whiskey because it's what I had on hand and it's from Kentucky...oops.


Frosting:
4 tablespoons shortening
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 lb powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whiskey

Slowly melt butter and chocolate together in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. If you have a double-boiler it would be ideal to use one, if not, just pay close attention and stir constantly to avoid burning the chocolate. Let cool.

Combine sugars in the bowl of a stand-mixer. Add melted chocolate and butter. Mix until well combined. Mix in whiskey. Incorporate eggs one at a time. Mix well. Add salt, baking soda, and baking powder and mix very well. I let mine run on the mixer for a minute or two until smooth and creamy.

Divide evenly between 4 pint jars (I used small jelly jars) that have been sprayed thoroughly with non-stick baking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. The cake will rise to almost overflowing, but should fall again before completely baked. Cake should pass the toothpick test once fallen.

Let jars cool completely (I made my cake the day ahead), before mixing and adding the frosting.  For the frosting, cream together butter and shortening. Add in the sugar and mix on low until combined. Turn the mixer to high and add in the whiskey a bit at a time until icing is light and fluffy. My icing didn't turn out how I thought it should and was a bit dry. So, in addition to the whiskey I mixed in a bit of milk until it was nice and creamy.


Spoon icing into jars and refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment