Pages

May 26, 2011

Oui. Oui.

 I love France. 

I adore Paris.

I hate onions....officially. Unofficially, I love them. They are beautiful - especially when they are slowly sautéed and become a giant pile of caramelized goodness. So, when we were invited to a fabulous French themed dinner with our foodiest of food friends Kara and Natalie, I could not resist making French Onion Soup. Or, as they call it in France, regular old Onion Soup.



The soup took a little more time than I was expecting, but was worth every moment. I followed this fabulous recipe from Smitten Kitchen with a few variations and it was met with wonderful reviews.

Listen to Deb when she says not to skimp on the slow sautéing of the onions. She's serious and she's right. These were the most delicious and best-smelling onions of my life. And, be liberal with the cheese. duh. Like I even needed to tell you that. 



That topping is the best part. The only thing I would change for next time (and there will be a next time) is that I would toast my baguette in smaller pieces. The larger croutons were a little harder to eat in a sophisticated manner. All in all, this soup was a winner and a great addition to a fabulous night gathered around the table with good friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment