Pages

September 30, 2010

The return of the slow cooker

Fall is here! Amen and amen. I love autumn. I love chilly weather and fleece jackets, fire pits and leaves crunching under my feet. Most of all, I love my slow cooker. There is almost nothing better than coming home to a bubbly, simmering pot of a delicious smelling home cooked meal.

This morning I woke up early (which is not pleasant when it's still dark outside). When I was tempted to hide under the covered for "just a few more minutes" I pressed on. My motivation: cooking a yummy meal for the ones I love. I know it's a little silly and very 1959, but putting a tasty and beautiful meal on the table is a joy for me. So, while my coffee was brewing I browned chorizo and sauteed onions.

My first slow cooker meal of the season is a variation on WeightWatchers' Slow Cooker Hearty Black Bean Soup Recipe. I have found that I like to use more chorizo (at least double of what's called for) and I'm liberal with my addition of garlic, cumin and lime. Topped with a dollop of sour cream and tons of fresh cilantro, it's a crowd pleaser every time.

This time I'm kicking it up a notch, too. Fresh baked bread from my very own oven. Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment