Pages

November 13, 2011

Cupcakes from a box, Icing made with love

Do you ever eat chocolate cake batter by the spoonful and tell yourself that it's basically the same as instant chocolate pudding? Yea ... me neither.

My friend Laura is having a baby! Her baby girl is due to arrive just after the holidays and today we are having a shower in her honor. We're feasting on all things pink and white and celebrating the fabulous mom-to-be!


Some of you may know Laura better as the voice behind FoodSnobSTL.com. She a pretty creative food blogger so I'm ashamed to admit that all of the tasty cupcakes that I made for her shower came straight out of the box. I wish I could say I doctored the mix a little to give it a certain je ne sais quoi, but nope, they are regular old cupcakes. Don't tell! I did take the time to whip up my own icing though. Nothing fancy. Just some good old fashioned buttercream.


Buttercream Icing

1/2 c shortening
1/2 c softened butter
1 t vanilla extract
4 c powdered sugar
2 T milk

Cream together the shortening, butter, and vanilla. Carefully add in the sugar one cup at a time (watch out that stuff gets everywhere) while mixing on medium speed. Add milk until the icing is light and fluffy.


Free tip just for you: I use small cheap plastic baggies as icing bags. Simply cut off a tiny corner of the bag and viola! icing bag. Ready to make cute letters or design fun swirls. The best part is there's nothing to wash at the end :)


No comments:

Post a Comment