Pages

November 10, 2011

A lesson in disappearing wine

Gift cards are awesome. At one of my bridal showers a friend gave us a gift card to Trader Joe's. Brilliant. It was immediately set aside for wine. TJ's is my hands down favorite place to buy wine. I love it because I can always find something better than drinkable and within my budget. The people are friendly and helpful and our favorite wine lady, Lynn, has never steered us wrong.

Last summer Lynn introduced us to our favorite white wine - Green Fin White Table Wine. We loved it. Then, one day, it was gone. Saddest. Day. Ever. That's the thing about Trader Joe's wines, they come and go as they please, but, luckily, our gal Lynn was there to introduce us to the Chariot Gypsy. It's a fabulous everyday red wine and we loved it. We bought up several bottles right away, but still, it's time came and it disappeared from the shelves. Sad.

This past Sunday I was meandering the TJ aisles with my friend Kara who was picking up some wine for a dinner party and I turned the corner and there she was. The Gypsy. Gasp! The aforementioned gift card immediately started to burn a hole in my pocket. Now, I'm new to the wife thing and I didn't know the rules about spending the wedding gift cards. I knew I had enough gift money to get 3 bottles, but in a fit of uncertainty I called the husband from the check out line to make sure he was cool with my purchase.

Me: Hey, I'm at Trader Joe's with Kara and guess what?
Him: What?
Me: The Gypsy is back! You know that gift card we have? It's enough to buy 3 bottles. Sound good?
Him: No...
(this is where my heart stopped for a second and was ready to be very, very sad)
...buy six!

So, back to the shelves I went to get 3 more bottles happy to know that the Gypsy would be gracing our wine rack once again this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment